iLEAD Board Awards
Each year at the iLEAD All Boards Retreat, Board Members, individuals, teams, programs, or schools who exemplify the iLEAD Mission, Vision, and Design Principles are awarded for their outstanding achievements in 6 different categories.
Kathleen Fredette, Science Accelerator Project In Recognition of Leadership in iNTERNATIONAL LEARNING
- Kathleen Fredette is being honored for her work launching Science Accelerator – a program that incorporates international learning into our network of schools.
- Kathleen has successfully created an international partnership with Out of the Box, a social enterprise promoting innovation and entrepreneurship in education that develops and operates innovative courses in STEAM with a special focus on Aerospace. The Science Accelerator students develop products that are practical, innovative and scientifically based that will help future Moo and Mars colonizers.
- Through carefully crafted experiences, Israeli and American students (with the eventual goal of other international collaborations) interact with space and science experts and entrepreneurs, acquiring the skills to effectively utilize 3D printers and pitch and promote their ideas.
- As part of this project, three 11th grade learners from SCVi, accompanied by Kathleen and Amber, were able to travel to Israel to participate in Space Week and present at Ben Gurion University.
- Kathleen has been an instrumental driver in global STEAM projects, collaborations, and a myriad of educational opportunities.
Indulekha Reeves The iLEAD Visionary Award
- Indulekha “Indy” Reeves has served on the Alaka’i O Kaua’i Governing Board since [It’s inception?]. She’s been a loyal and ardent supporter.
- Wanting a better education alternative for her 2 sons that was not only affordable, but free, was her initial motivation to join the school’s governing board.
- But knowing the lasting impact Alaka’i O Kaua’i would have for future generations of Kaua’i is what kept Indy committed to serving on the governing board.
- Indy is kind and considerate. She has brought a wealth of knowledge, experience and leadership to Alaka’i O Kaua’i.
- We are honored to recognize Indy with the iLEAD Visionary Award.
Allison Bravo In Recognition of Inspirational LEADERSHIP
- Allison Bravo has consistently gone above and beyond to create pathways to success for all learners
- Allison dreamed for years of a pregnant and parenting teen program, she found no success with local school districts willing to share in her vision but found iLEAD Schools and founded Empower Generations for iLEAD Schools.
- Always an advocate for online learning, Allison created and facilitated many of the first online courses for iLEAD Online
- If you find yourself stuck, Allison can dream up a creative solution for you, she is brilliant
- Most importantly, when schools went into crisis in March of 2020, Allison was the project manager that helped lead all our iLEAD schools seamlessly into distance learning with around the clock training and support. Our schools did not miss a day of instruction thanks to Allison’s leadership
- Thank you, Allison, for your Inspirational Leadership
iLEAD Agua Dulce In Recognition of ENTREPRENEURIAL DEVELOPMENT
- Entrepreneurial Development – Encouraging learners to work in teams, take risks, and learn from failure nurtures the ability to innovate and ignites their entrepreneurial spirit.
- iLEAD Agua Dulce has established the tradition of doing a school wide project at the beginning of the school year. This year’s school wide driving question was “How can I spread the joy of toys?” with individual grade levels addressing the question in a unique way.
- Last Spring, 5th and 6th grade learners showed their entrepreneurial spirit by creating their own businesses. They became excited about fractions, decimals, budgeting, states of matter, writing research and business proposal papers, and learning about economics.
- Projects such as these spark curiosity and inquiry, while being relevant, personalized, and engaging. They not only embody design, engineering, entrepreneurialism, and philanthropy, but encompasses all areas of the curriculum.
- More importantly, these entrepreneurial opportunities allow iLEAD Agua Dulce learners to have the autonomy to have voice and choice on how they want to present their creative product, speak their thoughts, and have their opinions valued.
- We know that the iLEAD Agua Dulce learners will do their best and be more engaged in their learning because they are making connections to the real world.
Griffin Loch In Recognition of Leadership in the ARTS
- From a very young age, Griffin Loch knew he was destined to make movies. The SCVi graduate wrote, directed, and produced several short and feature-length films while attending high school.
- Griffin was part of the SCVi Innovation Studios program and the Exploration program, both of which allowed him to incorporate his individual passions into his learning – a personalized approach to project-based learning.
- Both of Griffin’s first two films were screened in the SCVi Shakespeare Theater as fundraisers for his film projects. He asked supporters to be extras in his films. In fact, Dawn and Amber were honored to be extras in one of his films.
- SCVi gave Griffin the opportunity to use his passion for filmmaking in his learning, and also gave him the chance to design his own curriculum since the sixth grade. In fact, Griffin graduated from SCVi after having completed all of the high school requirements in only two years.
- Griffin’s first film, Calling the Shots, placed at the Independent Filmmakers Showcase in Los Angeles. His second, The Adventure of T.P. Man and Flusher, garnered Griffin the IFS Best Director Award and a nomination for Best Film and placed at the Indy Film Fest. His film work has also attracted recognition from the Roundtable Global Youth Awards.
- Congratulations, Griffin. We’re so proud of you and look forward to following your career in film!
Jeff Courtney In Recognition of Innovation in the area of DESIGN THINKING
- Jeff Courtney embodies the notion that design thinking fosters creativity and innovation.
- Rather than repeating the same tried-and-tested methods, Jeff considers alternative solutions, challenges assumptions, and explores new pathways and ideas.
- Jeff is responsible for creating the Maker Learning Engine and so many of the beautiful designs that have become a staple.
- Dedicated and loyal advocate for growing all the brands that are under the MLN and iLEAD umbrella.
- Instrumental in creating beautiful work to grow things and scale our program.
- To Jeff this is not just a project or job, it’s a mission and he’s passionately dedicated to telling the stories of our schools and stakeholders.