iLEAD Board Awards
Each year at the iLEAD All Boards Retreat, Board Members, individuals, teams, programs, or schools who exemplify the iLEAD Mission, Vision, and Design Principles are awarded for their outstanding achievements in 6 different categories.
- Matt Watson is being honored for his work launching Cultural Bridges – the program that incorporates international learning into Network Schools.
- Through exchanges and humanitarian outreach, Cultural Bridges brings the world to iLEAD, and iLEAD to the world.
- One of these programs is Backpacks Full of Hope. A group of our learners and their families have taken two trips to Puerto Rico, and are about to embark on their third in March.
- They build sustainable housing units, plant trees, and donate backpacks and duffle bags full of much-needed supplies to local residents.
- Matt also oversees an exchange program, bringing Chinese students to SCVi. This program encourages visiting students and their young SCVi hosts to learn about one another’s cultures.
- Matt loves the passion he has found with iLEAD Schools and enjoys helping others find theirs, and we are honored to recognize his Leadership in International Learning this evening.
John Vescovo has served the SCVi Governing Board as Treasurer since 2013. His 33 year professional career has included various positions in banking, public accounting, private bank consulting, and bank regulatory management. John has held the positions of Field Team Leader for the U.S. Treasury – OCC, Director of Internal Audit for a large California regional bank, Manager of Bank Consulting at one regional CPA firm and Senior Audit Manager for another, President/CEO of his own consulting business and West Coast Assistant Regional Office Director for a nationwide consulting firm. John has been employed since 2011 at Bank of Santa Clarita, a local community bank which primarily services the Santa Clarita Valley, where he was recently promoted to Executive Vice President and Chief Risk Officer.
John holds a Bachelor’s of Science degree in Business Administration and Accounting from California State University, Northridge. He is a Certified Internal Auditor through the Institute of Internal Auditors, and a former Commissioned National Bank Examiner with the U.S. Treasury Department. John has authored several articles for banking periodicals and newsletters and has conducted officer and director level training at various West Coast banking conferences and institutions.
John has attended hundreds of banking and accounting seminars, webinars, classes, online courses and workshops over the course of his career and has is active in Toastmasters, where he achieved the designations of Distinguished Toastmaster (DTM) and former District Lieutenant Governor. He remains an active member in the Southern California Compliance Officer Roundtable and in the local chapters of various banking, auditing and risk management associations.
John has been happily married for more than 20 years and has three children and three grandchildren. He lives with his family in Newhall.
- Lara Durrell and Heather Ferenc work tirelessly and selflessly to serve our iLEAD Exploration families – families who have chosen homeschooling for their children under the guidance of a credentialed facilitator.
- These two remarkable women are constantly seeking ways to build a strong program that meets the needs of the enrolled learners.
- Over the past 5 years, the Exploration program has grown from 1,800 learners to 3,800 learners. Lara and Heather have been instrumental in that growth.
- Lara and Heather both homeschooled their own children and are dedicated to supporting others in their unique homeschool journeys.
- Thank you, Lara and Heather, for your inspirational leadership!
- Erin was advocating for online schools 15 years ago, and everyone thought she was being ridiculous. But look where we are now!
- Under Erin’s leadership, iLEAD Online has grown from 14 learners in year one to 500 unique learners, 270 courses, and a staff of 50.
- iLEAD Online offers AP courses, a College and Career pathway, UC a-g approved courses, and NCAA accreditation.
- iLEAD Online emphasizes instructor availability, communication, and access. The courses are flexible, project based, and customizable to best fit the passions, interests, and needs of the learner.
- iLEAD Online uses global strategies and tools to create a meaningful and authentic virtual learning community.
- Teaching online is a passion for Erin, who loves the flexibility and unlimited possibilities our digital culture provides, allowing artists to create when and where they find inspiration. We thank you for your entrepreneurial spirit. Congratulations!
- Ten years ago, Linda Chesnutt created a program – AV Dancing Feet Youth Ballroom Dance – to introduce Antelope Valley students to the world of dance and the social etiquette that goes with it.
- In October of 2014, Margaret Wassner introduced this program to the learners in grades 5-8 at iLEAD Lancaster.
- The dancers work with Margaret for months to learn dances such as the merengue, salsa, tango, East Coast swing, and waltz. All their hard work pays off when they participate in a valley-wide competition at the Antelope Valley Fairgrounds called “An Elementary Elegance Event”
- Margaret estimates that over 130 iLEAD Lancaster learners have participated is this fantastic program. And we know they will continue to enjoy dancing throughout their lives.
- Margaret and Linda, we applaud you for your leadership in the arts.
- The SCVi Living History 8th Grade Project began in 2013 – an idea created by Dustin Lengning, Keith Faulkner, and Erin Aquaviva that has become a staple in our community.
- The 8th grade learners provide the public with a living history display at historic Rancho Camulos in Piru.
- Each learner portrays a person from the Civil War era, remaining “in character” throughout the day-long event.
- The facilitators and learners plan and work hard for months leading up to this presentation of learning, incorporating their 21st-century learning skills. They invent, market, schedule, budget, plan, show off their entrepreneurial skills, design, and much more.
- We are delighted to recognize The SCVi Living History 8th Grade Project as an amazing example of Design Thinking.